Thursday, June 6, 2013

Who I am and why catholic is lower case

        Hello, my name is unimportant. I have been raised in the Roman Catholic church for almost as long as I can remember. My mom has always been RC, and so I was placed in a private Catholic school during grade school. Upon reaching the 7th grade, I was uprooted and placed in a significantly larger public school. To make sure my siblings and I didn't lose our faith, my mother made a great effort to keep us involved in church activities. These of course included P.R.E. on Sundays, youth group activities on Wednesday nights, and even the occasional retreat to the local Four-H center. I was for the most part a stereotypical teenager and could usually think of about 14 other places I would rather be than these "church events". With that said, I always seemed to be glad that I had attended the event when it was over. Through high school I continued to attend these events, sometimes even on my own accord (once I could drive). To a spectator I was a prime candidate for becoming the next good catholic in the family.

       Soon after I graduated in May of 2009, my mother and I had a bit of a falling out. Neither of us acted as  we should have, and long story short I went to live with my good friend and father. Not much changed because of my new living arrangements. I was still going to church on Sundays. Didn't that  constitute being a good Catholic? I began college and soon began dating more and visiting other churches. I never received their communion, so I was still a good Catholic, right? It was then that I began seeing all the upsides of a more liberal faith. At one point I even began believing I was more protestant than Catholic. Eventually, God and church took a back seat and I drove my life towards what I thought I wanted. This continued until everything came to a screeching halt in the summer following the Spring 2012.

       I had become loosely affiliated with The Wesley Foundation, which is the Methodist Campus Youth Ministry, through a friend I had dated. When the summer began to get closer, and it came to light that I would be working in the same town I attended school in, she encouraged me to ask about the ministry housing that was available through the Wesley. To my great surprise my summer stay would be free so long as I cut the grass and did any necessary chores. Little did I know that I would be joined by the exact person HE wanted as my roommate. D.J. and I were going to share a room that was about 12 feet by 10 feet all summer long. D.J. is a long haired, brother of three, non-denominational, skateboarding, drum banging, metal head, who will never be described in front of me as anything less than a Christian.

        D.J. and I hit it off immediately. We seemed to have an infinite number of common experiences. We had brothers, corporal punishing parents, love for music, and earthly struggles all in common. The one and only difference it seemed we had was that D.J. was ON FIRE! He was facing all of his earthly battles with the bible in the one hand as his sword and wearing the breastplate of righteousness in all that he did. I saw it and knew that I wanted the happiness and peace that seemed to radiate from D.J.

        It happened, just as I should have expected. I was kneeling after Communion during the farewell mass of that summer's charismatic conference. I had asked for that which D.J. had, and here in a room, filled mostly with old people, I heard that voice from within. To say I heard anything, is misleading. Rather, I was filled with a knowing of what was required of me. This knowing told me that this time had to be different. I could not just be sorry for my transgressions until I left and then continue on driving my life where I wanted it to go.  And in light of what I saw in my roommate, I agreed to the terms set out before me. I have yet to look back! That is Not to say I haven't stumbled, but now I leap back to my feet rather than wallowing in my shame. I have overcome my earthly battles for the most part and continue to become a better Christian.
       
        Because I came to know D.J., I am the Catholic I am today. I had Religion class, mass twice a week, P.R.E., retreats, and a ton of adult Catholics to help guide me to this spot. But not one of those things or people will ever see the credit list. Because of D.J. a non-dom I embraced my own faith with vigor. Though my mother and my home church I have connected with other young Catholics who have helped be develop my own beautiful faith. Thank you SP. I now have become an important part of a pilgrimage to see the Vicar of Christ at WYD. And D.J. is the reason I am going. Not just because of what he has done for me, but because I know that if I let The Shepherd use me, I can be the light that D.J. was for this lost sheep.

        If I had been waiting on a member of the Catholic church to come and find me and be my light, I might still be waiting. Thank God, I believe in One Holy catholic and apostolic church, for it was a member of this one body comprised of all true Christians that saved me from living a life of mediocrity. It was God who brought D.J. into my life and it was HIS light I saw shining in him. I pray that one day I may be the light for another lost sheep in this world.


No comments:

Post a Comment