Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Holy Spirit: Best Actor in Our Life

The more I read the homilies and talks from Pope Francis, the more I am aware of how much he relies on the Holy Spirit. Just today in his weekly Wednesday Audience, he told the crowd at St. Peter's Basilica: 

"The Holy Spirit, in the variety of his gifts, unites us and enables us to contribute to the building up of the Church in holiness."


Many times I find it hard to define holiness. And most of the time I think there is a misunderstanding of the term. Holiness does not mean outward compliance with laws, or commandments. It is not just an outward display of perfection. That might be gracefulness. But holiness is first and last an inner disposition, a fidelity to the promptings of the Holy Spirit. In the end, holiness is not so much what I do, but what God does in me. 

Throughout the day, the Holy Spirit is giving me inspirations and graces. The more I can acknowledge, accept, respond (git r done) and thank God for these inspirations, the more he will send me. And by committing myself to these impulses, and less of my own, I hope the Holy Spirit will be seen as the main actor in my life's story. I let go of my leading role and cast him. Perhaps He will be awarded Best Actor, Best Director in my life's movie. After all, it's his movie anyway. I'll let him have it all. 



No comments:

Post a Comment