Sunday, September 8, 2013

Running the Race

     As time forms the exciting experiences of World Youth Day into fond memories, I can't  help longing to be back in Brazil again with my fellow pilgrims. However, myself and the other three million WYD attendees must not linger in our longings, but go and pass on our encounter with Christ and the Church to others.
     When I am asked about what I took away from the pilgrimage experience, I think back to the moment I first saw Pope Francis with my own eyes. For several hours I stood waiting near the barricades lining the avenue along Copacabana Beach; then later as the popemobile started its way up the street, I was pushed even closer in by the swelling crowds. I was a mere twenty feet away from our Holy Father when he passed by amidst camera flashes and chants of "Papa Francisco" and "Esta es la juventud del Papa". In that moment, I thought "this is what I've been planning and waiting for over the past year". I was surrounded by millions of Catholics from all parts of the world gathered in Rio for one thing: to encounter Christ through His Church entrusted to the successor of St. Peter, Pope Francis, and to all of us. I was so joyous to be there and to see the Pope, that I sprinted up the beach to get as close as possible to the altar to see and hear Papa Francisco address us for the first time.
     Each of us must continue to run towards the altar everyday, to where Christ brings Heaven and Earth together. We are on a race in which Heaven is our finish line, and we are to invite whomever we meet to run beside us. Pope Francis imparted many words of wisdom upon us but the ones that impacted me most are from the closing Mass: "Jesus is speaking to each one of us, saying: 'It was wonderful to take part in World Youth Day, to live the faith together with young people from the four corners of the earth, but now you must go, now you must pass on this experience to others.' Jesus is calling you to be a disciple with a mission!" So as I settle back into my community, I am aware that because I was given many blessings and graces during the pilgrimage, much is expected of me in order to help carry out Christ's mission! If each of the three million WYD attendees joins in this mission to be a disciple, we can change our parishes, our communities, and our world by inviting others to run the race with us!



Myself and Holly after our run towards the altar


Papa Francisco


at the closing Mass


Here is Pope Francis' homily from the closing Mass. http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/francesco/homilies/2013/documents/papa-francesco_20130728_celebrazione-xxviii-gmg_en.html
    

No comments:

Post a Comment